Green is more than a color…. and Sustainability is the new black!
Paddle Maui was recently honored by the Hawaii Ecotourism Association for our sustainable practices. We are now one of 14 companies in the state of Hawaii to be certified by the HEA as an “Ecotour Company”. To learn more about Ecotourism in Hawaii visit the Hawaii Ecotourism Associations website. You can read an article about the HEA’s Certification Program here : Hawaii Magazine Article
At Paddle Maui we try to leave our ocean playground better than we found it… here are a few ways we give back:
- We are active members of our local Surfrider Foundation Maui Chapter and Paddle Maui has assisted in beach and reef clean ups as water safety/patrol.
- We joined SRF’s Rise Above Plastics campaign and stopped using single-use plastic water bottles on our tours and replaced them with stainless steel water bottles with filtered water.
- We do a mini ‘beach clean-up’ each time we teach a surf lesson, taking a few moments before the guests show up to malama (care for) the beach.
- If we see any marine debris (plastics, bags, rope, fishing gear) while on the ocean we will turn around to pick it up.
- We educate our guests on the importance of the reef and marine environment, making sure they are aware of how fragile an ecosystem it is.
- We try not to disturb any marine life while on our tours. We will NOT: pull octopus out of their homes to show them to guests, pick up sea urchins or other marine animals. We would rather view them in their natural state and not add any stress to their lives.
- We try to be as culturally sensitive as possible, providing factual information and saying “I don’t know” rather than making something up if we don’t know an answer to your questions about Hawaiian Culture and Hawaii.